Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Color Mist Cookies

My brother, Ben, had his first holy communion this past weekend.  He looked incredibly handsome in his suit and white tie.  He loves to dress up.  When my mom asked him if he wanted to wear his older brother's tie from last year he said no, he wanted a new one.  Not only did he want a new one, but he wanted to go to the store and help her pick one out.  Not what you would expect from an 8 year old boy!

I knew I wanted to make cookies that would look as good as he did.  It would also be nice if they didn't take forever either, this whole moving to Texas 'thing' is kind of time consuming!  Here's what I ended up coming up with:

Well, I came up with the ones in the middle anyway.  My Aunt made the chocolate covered oreos, peanut blossoms, and puff pastry/lady lock type cookies.

I liked the blue and yellow colors together, and the absolute best part is how easy these cookies were to make!

Start by making your favorite sugar cookie recipe in what ever shape you prefer.  I found squares worked best for these designs for reasons I'll get into later.

Then go ahead and outline and flood your cookies with white royal icing.

Don't forget to pop any air bubbles ->








Once the icing has dried the real fun can begin!  To decorate the cookies I used color mist sprays I found at the local craft store.  I found mine cheaper than what they are listed for on Amazon, and was able to use a 50% of coupon, yay for saving money! 

There were two different designs I had seen floating around the Internet that I wanted to give a try, the first was gingham cookies at Glorious Treats and the other was simple but elegant ombre cookies at Sweet SuagrBelle. 

Today I'll show you the Gingham and then later this week the Ombre.  Both were easy, but took a couple tries to get right.  And they took a lot less time than any design with royal icing would have taken!

Ok, I would recommend picking a shape that allows you to cover the entire top of the cookie with icing.  Since I had a trim of plain cookie showing around the icing I was concerned about the dye from the spray showing up on the cookie (especially when using the blue).  So the first thing I did was to take some oak tag and rip it up into four strips (So that each piece had a straight edge) to cover the exposed cookie parts. The square shape obviously was the easiest shape to cover all the exposed areas.


You'll also want to cover your entire table with newspaper, just in case!




Once your cookie is safe with all the parts you don't want dyed hidden away you're ready to get started!

To make the gingham design I used a stencil I made out of oak tag with 1/4" wide strips cut out of it (I used an exacto knife to make clean cuts).  Take the stencil and lay it across your cookie.

In the picture you can see I also tries doing 1/2" wide stripes, they ended up being too big for my cookie.  Next I sprayed a LIGHT coat of color mist over the stencil and cookie.  If you want a darker color spray a light coat, give it a few seconds to dry and then spray another light coat.  If you spray too much at once it gets a watery, splotchy look and loses the designs sharp lines.

 Give it a few seconds to dry, it really didn't take long.





Then go ahead and flip the stencil to be going the other direction and spray another light mist over the cookie.



And voila! A beautiful and elegant cookie in just a few minutes! 


I had a lot of fun making these cookies, and am looking forward to trying this style again.  Next time I would perhaps grab some stencils, or make my own.  I hope you'll give these a try and impress your friends and neighbors!

No comments:

Post a Comment