Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pumpkin Scones

I was hoping to share some tasty chocolate chip cookie dough brownies that I made for the super bowl with you today, but they ended up being a failure. :( I hate when that happens, I get really excited about something and then it's a flop, it's even worse when you were planning to give them to people, let's say at a super bowl party. Luckily I have an amazing friend named Mandy, who likes baking as much as I did. She made these awesome red velvet cupcakes with blue icing, and decorated them with football candies and wrote out Pats, Giants, and XLVI in white chocolate and put those on as well. Not only were they incredibly cute, they were delicious. I wish I had taken a picture instead of just eating them up!

Anyway, so instead of yummy brownies I have something entirely different, Pumpkin Scones. I found this recipie over at Recipie Girl several months ago. I just made them for the second time when my cousin was visiting for her birthday. I made the scones and Blueberry Buckle thinking the Buckle would go first, but everyone ate up the scones and I can't blame them, they're delicious!



<3 Pumpkin Scones <3

SCONES:
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup canned pure (unsweetened) pumpkin
3 tablespoons half and half cream
1 large egg
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes

PLAIN GLAZE:
1/2 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
1 tablespoon milk (any kind)

SPICED ICING:
3/4 cup powdered sugar (sifted)
1 to 2 tablespoons milk (any kind)
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
pinch of ground ginger
pinch of ground cloves

Directions:


1. Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray baking sheet with cooking spray or line with parchment paper. Give it a light dusting of flour on top of that.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (through ginger).

3. In a separate bowl, whisk together pumpkin, half and half and egg.

4. Use a pastry cutter or two knives to cut butter into the dry ingredients. Continue cutting until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. (You may also use a food processor for this step. Pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs).

5. Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients, then form the dough into a ball. The dough will be wet, but if it seems super sticky... just go ahead and sprinkle a little more flour into the dough until it's easier to handle. Remember, you want it to be somewhat sticky, and that's okay- but you also don't want it to stick to the baking sheet. Pat out dough onto the lightly floured baking sheet and form it into a 1-inch thick rectangle that is about 9-inches long and 3-inches wide. Use a large knife or a pizza cutter to slice the dough. It works best to cut the dough into rectangles or squares and then cut those into triangles. The originial recipie called for cutting 6 scones, but when I did that the scones were huge, so the second time I cut 12 scones, and they were the perfect size. Gently pull the triangles apart, leaving about 1/2-inch space between each one.

6. Bake 14 to 16 minutes on prepared baking sheet. Scones should begin to turn light brown. (they'll run back into each other a bit, but theyll be esy to seperate later so don't worry)

7. While scones are cooling, prepare plain glaze by whisking ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix until smooth.

8. When scones are cool, use a knife/pull them apart. Use a brush to paint a coating of the glaze over the top of each scone.

9. As the white glaze firms up, prepare spiced icing by whisking the ingredients in another medium bowl until smooth. Drizzle this thicker icing over each scone (or brush it on) and allow the icing to dry before serving.

* the first glaze keeps the second one from seeping into the scone and makes them look a bit nicer.



I hope you'll give them a try, they freeze well and still tasted good several days after I made them.

I plan on trying the chocolate chip cookie dough brownies again sometime, after I change the recipie a bit. For now I am focusing on a baking competition I am helping my brother, Bobby, with for boy scouts. The theme is the circus and we'll be doing a buttercream transfer of a circus tent and animals. Wish us luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment